The AlienFlight F3 Octo Brushed V1 is an experimental flight controller designed to pilot Quadcopters, Hexacopters, and even Octocopters using 7mm-8.5mm brushed motors. It features an ARM STM32 F3 processor, built in USB for easy firmware flashing, and parameter editing, MPU6050 Gyro/Accelerometer, 7A ESCs, and a built in Bind switch for easy binding.
NOTE: I recommend sticking to Betaflight Firmware Version 3.1.6, released 2/17, as more recent firmware builds have issues.
AlienFlight F3 Octo Brushed V1
(Actual build uses tactile switches in place of pictured jumpers)
AlienFlight F3 Octo Brushed V1 Specifications:
- Cleanflight compatible
- STM32 F3 MCU
- MPU6050 accelerometer/gyro sensor unit
- 4x 7A dual channel brushed ESCs (Mosfets)
- Direct programming connection via side USB
- (*) serial connection for external DSM2/DSMX sat receiver (e.g. Spektrum SAT, OrangeRx R100 or Lemon RX)
- Alternate PPM receiver connection (i.e. Deltang Rx31)
- Hardware bind button for easy binding
- Boot button for easy firmware flashing
- Motor connections oriented for self explanatory connection
- Dimensions: 29x33mm (use thin FR4 material for weight savings)
- Direct operation from an single cell lipo battery
- All components arranged on the top layer
* Most Spektrum Compatible DSM2 satellites work out of the box. DSMX sat should also work with DSM2 protocol with default settings. (DSM2, 11bit, 11ms is preset).
NOTES: Battery Voltage monitoring on 1S powered machines is not very effective (and is disabled by default in Cleanflight AlienFlight F3 firmware).
Lost Model Alarm: A small Buzzer with a low current draw (=<20mA) can be used in place of the VMON LED. You can tie activation of this Buzzer to a switch on your Transmitter via the Beeper option, on the Cleanflight modes page.
Octo Configuration: In order to use Octo. you must select the custom mixer option on the Cleanflight Configuration page. Physical motor outputs are self explanatory.
Build Files and Resources.
Schematic, board design, and part list ➜ Tactile ZIP
This bare board can be made at ➜ OSHpark (with Tactile Switches)
Stencils can be made at ➜ OSHStencils
NOTES: Solder the RX jumper pad on the back of the board to SRX. The same pin is currently being used for both PPM and Serial receivers on the STM32 F3. The PPM pad has been removed on future revisions.
THESE FILES ARE BEING PROVIDED ”AS IS” WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES.